When it comes to putting on a successful conference, the venue you choose is an integral decision. Jacqui Williams, general manager of the Townhouse Hotel in Cape Town, provides her top tips on what to look for when searching for the perfect location for your event.
- Choose a venue that offers tailored packages and comes with a conferencing team to cater to your specific needs. “These are the experts who can provide you with staple information regarding seating plans, booking systems, checklists and the registration process of delegates. The personal interaction makes a big difference to the end result,” says Williams.
- Plan the catering in advance with the venue chef. You need to meet your delegates and guests dietary requirements, so ensure the venue has caterers on hand to ensure the food is fresh and the drinks are cold.
- Always ask if the venue has the necessary audio-visual equipment, great lighting and full high-speed Wi-Fi coverage. Wi-Fi and cellular connectivity have become the lifeblood of conferencing and events. The last thing you want is for people who have paid for a conference to not be able to see or hear the message you are relaying.
- Check there will be someone from the venue on standby to help you though out the day and to make sure your event runs smoothly.
- Choose a venue that is central for all delegates or guests.
- Check whether there is adequate parking and that it is easily accessible via public transport.
- Hosting an event for out-of town delegates? A hotel is the best place to do it. This way, you can ensure the hotel offers you a special stay-over package.